Listen to a podcast, please open Podcast Republic app. Available on Google Play Store.
10 Essential Keys to Unlocking Self-Love
Let’s talk about LOVE! Self-Love isn’t some trendy phrase. It’s scientifically proven that increasing your self-love muscle improves your health. Tune in to hear empirically-validated ways to exercise your self-love muscle.
* * *
What is Self-Love?
What self-criticism is good for?
Benefits of Self-Love
1. Become mindful. People who have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel and want. They are mindful of who they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them.
2. Act on what you need rather than what you want. You love yourself when you can turn away from something that feels good and exciting to what you need to stay strong, centered, and moving forward in your life, instead.
3. Set boundaries. You'll love yourself more when you set limits or say no to work, love, or activities that deplete or harm you physically, emotionally and spiritually, or express poorly who you are.
4. Protect yourself. Understand the term frenemies. It describes so well the type of "friends" who take pleasure in your pain and loss rather than in your happiness and success. Suggestion here: Get rid of them!
5. Forgive yourself. We humans can be so hard on ourselves. You have to accept your humanness (the fact that you are not perfect), before you can truly love yourself. Practice being less hard on yourself when you make a mistake.
6. Live intentionally. If your intention is to live a meaningful and healthy life, you will make decisions that support this intention, and feel good about yourself when you succeed in this purpose.
7. Become a master communicator. Every great relationship relies on positive communication, so take the time to check in with yourself. Remember: ALWAYS speak to yourself in a loving way. How would you speak to someone you love? How can you speak to yourself in a more loving way?
8. Be kind and gentle with yourself. We give the people we love space to make mistakes. We're compassionate of their challenges and appreciative of their efforts. So, remember to give yourself a little understanding while you learn how to truly love yourself.
9. Trust yourself. It's important to trust yourself to look after your best interests—don’t sacrifice your needs for the needs of those around you. Honor and PRIORITIZE commitment you make to yourself.
10. Practice good self-care. You will love yourself more, when you take better care of your basic needs. People high in self-love nourish themselves daily through healthy activities, like sound nutrition, exercise, proper sleep, intimacy and healthy social interactions.
11. Being honest with ourselves. Being honest with yourself is one of the ways you can love yourself the very best. Because when you’re honest with yourself, it allows you to see all the places that you need to improve, and places where you can be better, and places where you can stretch yourself a little farther.
Start a Self-Love Practice
As a pioneer in Positive Psychology, Emma Seppala offers 4 empirically-validated ways to exercise your self-love muscle: [Adapted from THE HAPPINESS TRACK by Emma Seppala, Ph.D. © 2016]
1. Notice your self-talk. In times of failure or challenge, noticing your self-talk can help you curb self-criticism and replace it with self-compassion. For example, instead of saying things like, “How could I have done this? I’m such an idiot!” you might say, “I had a moment of absent-mindedness and that’s okay. It could have happened to anyone; it’s no big deal.”
2. Write yourself a letter. When your emotions are overwhelming, writing a letter to yourself as if you were writing to a friend. Let’s say you made a costly error and are feeling angry with yourself. It might feel stilted or strange at first but write a letter as if you were writing it to someone dear to you who had committed the same mistake. Your words should comfort and not attack, normalizing the situation rather than blowing it out of proportion. A number of studies demonstrate that writing about your emotions can help regulate them.
3. Develop a self-compassion phrase. Consider using a self-compassion mantra or phrase that you can turn to in challenging situations, so you can deal with them calmly and with grace. Hers is: “This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is part of life. May I be kind to myself in this moment; may I give myself the compassion I need.”
4. Make a daily gratitude list. Write down five things you feel grateful for every day. Again, this may sound overly simplistic. However, this extremely short exercise has been shown to produce powerful and long-lasting results. To increase your self-compassion, at the end of each day, write down five things you are proud of having accomplished or five positive qualities you see in yourself.
Deeper Dive Resources
American Psychological Association study abstract: Self-compassion, affect, and health promoting behaviors:
She is currently an Associate Professor at the University of Texas at Austin.
Guided Meditations & Exercises.
Emma Seppala, Ph.D.:
Science Director of the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education at Stanford University and Co-Director of the Yale College Emotional Intelligence Project at Yale University
The Happiness Track: How to Apply the Science of Happiness to Accelerate Your Success:
|Feb 13, 2019|
Collagens - Hype or Healthy?
The search term collagen has increased 40% already just in this year alone! So, is all the hype trendy or true? We’ve done the research and that’s the question we answer this week!
Did you know that your body naturally produces collagen every day? We dig into why supplementation is even a consideration.
Did you know there are several different types of collagen? We’ve tracked them all down and explain the part each type plays in our body.
Is collagen all about less sagging skin? Actually, no it isn’t! Tune in to hear about the ways collagen benefits our health. We guarantee some will surprise you.
Tune in for more no-nonsense information on what collagens are, how they may benefit your health, and what you need to look for when it comes to the products and foods, you're consuming.
|Feb 06, 2019|
How To Use Cannabis and CBDs to Heal Your Body
Let's dive deeper into understanding medical cannabis. Does it really cure what ails you or is this all smoke and mirrors?
Join us for a conversation about a major system in our body that wasn’t even discovered until the late 1980s. Once you understand the importance of this system in our bodies, you will realize what all the hype surrounding this versatile healing plant has been about!
Worried about getting “high” or experiencing the psychoactive effects of THC? If you tune in to this episode that fear will diminish quickly.
John Malanca shares his deep knowledge of cannabis and explains the difference between THC, THC-A, and CBD. And the ratios! What do they even mean? Never fear. We explain it plainly and simply.
According to the CDC, 46 people die every day from overdoses involving prescription opioids. Sadly, in 2017 overdose rates from prescription opioids significantly increased among people more than 65 years of age. Tune in to find out how many deaths can be attributed to cannabis overdose!
Whether you now suffer from pain, insomnia, anxiety, or even cancer you owe it to yourself to be educated on your options to help ease symptoms or cure your disease. And if you choose to use it, great. If you choose not to, that's great too. This is your body but to not have the information is where we're failed as a society. Join us and get educated!
|Jan 30, 2019|
What's Nature's Most Versatile Healing Plant?
John Malanca joins us to discuss Nature's most healing plant! We tackle topics like, what is cannabis, how it used medically, the difference between THC and CBD, and much more!
|Jan 23, 2019|
Sugar Addiction: It's a REAL Thing
We tackle sugar topics like what is a carb, what is sugar addiction, the problem with flours, how sugar compares to cocaine and heroin in the brain, tips for feeding your kids or grandkids, and much more!
|Jan 16, 2019|
Making Your Resolutions a Reality
Setting goals and your New Year Resolution by discussing the difference between goals, rituals, and schedules, benefits of goals, statistics around the world, their #1 tip for setting yourself up for success in attaining your goals, and much much more! With Jonathan and TeriAnn.
|Jan 09, 2019|
Effective Goal Setting in the New Year
The psychology of goal setting, types of goals, the levels of change, what keystone habits are, and much more! With Dr. Susan Pierce-Thompson.
|Jan 02, 2019|
Coping With The Holiday Food Hangover
How to cope with the holiday food hangover with Dr. Susan Pierce-Thompson. Topics like the term bright-line, exercise bulimia, states of food addiction, the importance of self-compassion, how she got to her ideal body weight and has kept it there for 15 years, and much more!
|Dec 26, 2018|
Prop 65: What You Need To Know
Prop 65 regulations including what it is, how it affects supplement companies, Prop 65 standards versus National and International standards, a deep dive into lead, savvy consumer tips, and much more!
|Dec 19, 2018|
Holiday Hacks - 27 Tips for Staying Healthy During the Holidays
HOLIDAY EDITION, where you will learn helpful tips for heading into the holidays, before a holiday party, while you are at the party, the morning after the party, and to deal with holiday stress.......all to help you stay happy and healthy during the holiday season!
|Dec 14, 2018|
Boosting Your Immune System using Mushrooms
The history of mushrooms, what they are, why they are beneficial to the planet and humans, types of medicinal mushrooms and their amazing properties, why cultivation methods matter, and much more!
|Dec 12, 2018|
Inflammation & Turmeric (Do’s & Don’ts)
The history of turmeric, what is inflammation, the two types of inflammation, the turmeric and black pepper myth, fermentation and much more!
|Dec 05, 2018|
Multi-Vitamins: Hype or Healthy?
Ingredients to look for, absorption and dosing, RDA recommendations, nutritional deficiency diseases, what makes an effective multi, what to avoid, MTHFR mutation and much more! With Doc Nuzum.
|Nov 28, 2018|
Nutraceutical vs. Pharmaceuticals & Why Organic Matters
Nutraceutical vs. Pharmaceuticals, Synthesized Compounds, Can I Take Too Much When It Comes To Supplements, How Does a Whole Food Supplement Compare, Organic versus Non-Organic and much, much more. with Doc Nuzum.
|Nov 21, 2018|
Synthetic vs. Whole Food Supplements & Delivery Systems
How Synthetics are Created, Inorganic and Organic Compounds, Your Nutritional Profile, Supplementation and Toxicity, Whole Food Approach, Why Fermentation, Different Delivery Systems, Why Humic and Fulvic and much, much more. With Doc Nuzum.
|Nov 14, 2018|
The History of Supplements
The History of Supplements - with Doc Nuzum. Topics include:
|Nov 01, 2018|